Break the Housing Land Monopoly!

We all know about Britain’s housing crisis, which is, simply put, that we do not have enough housing in the places where people want to live. But there is another problem: the lack of choice over the kind of houses we live in. Fewer than 10% of new houses are ‘self-built’ to their owners’ specifications, and almost all of those are in rural areas. Most of the other 90% are built by mass house-builders for the speculative housing market.

Opportunities for self-build in urban areas, or on peri-urban greenfield land newly released for housing, are as rare as hens’ ...


There are approximately 1114 more words in this article.

To read the rest of this article, please buy this issue, or join the Resurgence Trust. As a member you will receive access to the complete archive of magazines from May 1966.

Buy Issue Join Us

If you are already a member, please Sign in